Thursday, September 11, 2014

Beer Lately

Beer Lately, with Dave

  Oktoberfest runs every year in Munich for the 16 days preceding and including the first Sunday of October, being that we are encroaching upon the official start (Sep. 20th, 2014), you can imagine why all of the best craft beer companies are suddenly releasing their Oktoberfest special brews! 

 There are always a few staples to Oktoberfest releases, notable is the Spaten Oktoberfest, which has a fantastic refreshing tartness and a bready-malt flavor that everyone has grown to love in the best Oktobefest brews. Another great staple is the Paulaner Oktoberfest, again a great refreshing tartness with a bready, but more yeasty flavor overall with a great light finish! Also, a shout to local NC breweries for the Highland Clawhammer Oktoberfest and the Olde Mecktoberfest from Highland Brewing and Olde Mecklenberg respectively who both had FANTASTIC brews this year! I’m getting excited myself to hit the annual Charlotte and Asheville Oktoberfest celebrations!

  Being that we are almost to fall, I think everyone has also come to realize its Pumpkin-flavored season, and thus Pumpkin beers! I’m not a pumpkin flavored everything person myself, but I do enjoy a nice pumpkin ale in the cool weather. This year, I think the best I’ve had yet has to go to New Holland’s Ichabod Pumpkin, had a great festive pumpkin flavor with a nice maltiness and warmth. Honorable mention definitely goes to Anderson Valley’s Fall Hornin Pumpkin, which had less pumpkin flavor overall but a much better spicy festive “I’m raking leaves and need a beer” feel. I was a bit disappointed with DogfishHead’s Punk’n this year that really tasted like they didn’t add enough pumpkin, the flavor was there but it just seemed diluted. For local brews, NoDa Brewing had an awesome Gordgeous Pumpkin Ale, which I really enjoyed but found it just a bit too spicy and not enough pumpkin for my tastes, other friends preferred it over the Ichabod though, so it’s all relative.

          Dave

Do you have a burning question about beer or home brewing? Ask Dave! We will entertain any reasonable or unreasonable suggestions, and are happy to address your comments, below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to the Top